Ahlus Sunnah School, formerly known as the Islamic Day School, was founded in 1984 with the objective of educating Pre-School and Kindergarten Muslim children in an Islamic environment, in accordance to Islamic principals. Since that time, Ahlus Sunnah School has evolved into a full time school from Pre-School through 12th grade. Ahlus Sunnah School has had twenty-one graduating classes as of June, 2015.We are proud to serve students of diverse backgrounds and nationalities. Ahlus Sunnah School is easily accessible from 280 East (Parkway/Oraton exit) and 280 West (Parkway/Oraton exit). The Garden State Parkway North (exit 145) and South (exit 147). New Jersey Transit also provides public transportation via bus lines #21 and #41 and the Morris and Essex train out of Hoboken.
Visit us and see all that Ahlus Sunnah School has to offer to you and your family. Call or email us to schedule a tour today.
A Brief History of the Ahlus Sunnah School
Ahlus Sunnah School or Madrasatu Ahlis Sunnah, formerly known as the Islamic Day School, was founded in 1984 with the objective of educating Pre-School through Kindergarten Muslim children in an Islamic environment. Islam was in its earliest stages of development in the area at that time. Although, there was the humble beginning, the Imam Ahmed Burhani and the Muslims had vision and future plans.
So nine (9) years later the School began its move toward a full time Muslim Islamic School. The Muslims went into a five (5) year contract and leased part of a National Guard Armory in the next city over. The Muslims used this building to develop the Muslim School from Kindergarten to the 4th grade in the 1992-1993 school years. Since that time, Ahlus Sunnah School has evolved into a full-time school from Nursery through the 12th Grade. Ahlus Sunnah has had seventeen graduating classes as of June, 2011.
Our students have come from a variety of areas within Northern New Jersey and New York. Paterson, Clifton, Elizabeth, Brooklyn, Poughkeepsie just to name a few. In past years, we have had students from as far away as upstate New York attends our school. The students that have attended Ahlus Sunnah School represent a wide variety of countries and cultural backgrounds. Some of the graduates of Ahlus Sunnah School have been awarded full and/or partial scholarships to some of the most prestigious schools in the United States, namely Rutgers University, Seton Hall University, MIT, the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Princeton University, Montclair State, Kean University and Bloomfield College just to name a few.
Madrasatu Ahlis Sunnah has seen many changes and plenty of growth islamically. Qualified and knowledgeable staff was difficult to come by in the early days here in East Orange. Islamic books and literature were at a minimum as well. But with the growth of Islam in America came the need for scholastic growth.
We are proud to serve students of diverse backgrounds and nationalities. Ahlus Sunnah School is easily accessible from 280 East (Parkway/Oraton exit) and 280 West (Parkway/Oraton exit). The Garden State Parkway North (exit 145) and South (exit 147). New Jersey Transit also provides public transportation via bus lines #21 and #41 and the Morris and Essex train out of Hoboken. Visit us and see all that Ahlus Sunnah School has to offer to you and your family. Call or email us to schedule a tour today. –>
Message From The Principal
Alhamdulilah! Allah has truly blessed us and shown His favor upon us by making us Muslims. May He increase us in knowledge and in Emaan so that we may work towards having the conduct and character of our pious predecessors, who embraced Islam in its totality. Ameen.
Another school year is upon us, and we are striving to realize the vision of our Mission Statement. It is important for us, as a community, to make an effort to try to increase our knowledge Islamically and to make Islam practical in our lives.
As we all know, educating our youth is serious business and it is extremely difficult. The problems are compounded when we do not support one another. What we need is for parents, teachers, administrators and the entire faculty to work together as a team. Our school has invested in the uplifting the education of our students in 2013-2014 school year. We have utilized Grant money from East Orange Board of Education toward two Smart Boards in our Computer Labs, which cost $15,000.00. We have also been granted over $25,000.00 for student enrichment programs for after school services and tutoring programs.
This year, as we become closer to realizing our Mission, we want parents to make a special effort to impart to their children the importance of respecting their teachers and those in authority among them. As we always say, “it takes a village to raise a child,” pertains to each and every one of us. We want to focus on the etiquette of learning.
We are going to try our best to give your child(ren) a quality education in an Islamic environment insha’Allah. We need your help in ensuring that they come to school ready to learn, and to cooperate with the adults in authority.
May Allah bless us to have a successful upcoming school year and enable us to work together towards birr and taqwaa (all good action and obedience), and May Allah help us to provide our children with a quality education that will make them successful in this life and in the next.
Ahlus Sunnah School provides Muslim children with the following advantages and benefits:
- Our Students pray Zuhr, Asr and Jumuah during school hours within the same building.
- We offer an Islamic Studies Curriculum, including Quranic and Arabic.
- Language Studies. Separation of the Male and Female Students for Gym, Health Islamic Studies, Arabic and Quran Classes from 7th through 12th Grades.
- Additional staff has been hired this year to assist in accommodating students according to their levels.
- Our school puts together an annual Mock Hajj, where the rites of the Hajj are demonstrated.
- The school has an annual Arabic Spelling Bee, which gives the opportunity to demonstrate proficiency in spelling words of the Arabic Language.
- Our School is presently implementing the NJ Common Core Curriculum Standards as our standard
- We have qualified, devoted and dedicated teachers and support staff
- Many of our teachers have received and/or are in the process of getting Professional Development Hours to sharpen and update their skills.
- Some of our former students have returned to work at our school.
- Basic Skills and Title I Services are offered via the Essex County Educational Commission with an on-site Instructor.-The PSAT Test is offered at our school. Any student from any school is invited to take the test at the school.
- We have had several of our students score from 1500 to1950 on their SATs, the majority of them having been students at Ahlus Sunnah School from Pre-K to 12th Grade.
- We have a Computer Lab for student and staff use.
- We have had five students receive full scholarships to NJIT, while previous graduates have been accepted to local colleges such as Rutgers University, Montclair State University and Seton Hall University, as well as several Out of State Schools.
- Our School annually participates in State Spelling Bee and Poetry Out Loud Competition
- Insha Allah, we will be looking to upgrade our Technology Program to give our students the opportunity to keep up with the current changes in technology.
- Ahlus Sunnah School currently has a School Library, Weight Room, and Ping Pong Tables available for use
- Our school has a Lunch Program that has been sanctioned by the State of New Jersey. Our Program offers breakfast, lunch and after school snacks in compliance with both Halal and State nutritional standards.
- Our school has participated in the MYCC Basketball League over the last two seasons. The Boy’s Basketball team is a two-time champion and the Middle school team won the championship in its first year of competition.
The mission of Ahlus Sunnah School is to impart sound religious and secular knowledge, as well as instill and cultivate self-discipline and high moral character. Inshaa Allah, these goals can be achieved through the teachings of the Qur’aan, the authentic Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (SAWS) and the way of our Righteous Predecessors. The school strives to provide a safe, wholesome, stimulating environment away from negative influences that will adversely affect the learning process.
Among our more important goals and objectives is to advise one another with that which will save us and the students from the fire; and to teach the students to equip themselves with faith and knowledge before statements and action; and to teach the students the understanding of the religion; and to teach the students etiquette and character.